Grilling is the perfect way to get a moist and tender turkey. The cranberry glaze will add a nice hint of sweetness to the dish.
- 1 turkey, 12-14 pounds/5.5-6.5 kg
- 1 cup/240 mL cranberry sauce
- 1/2 cup/120 mL orange juice
- 1/4 cup/60 mL olive oil
- 1/4 cup/60 mL dry red wine
- 3 tablespoons/45 mL fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons/45 mL Dijon mustard
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL Worcestershire sauce
Combine glaze ingredients in a saucepan. Bring mixture to boil, remove from heat, and allow to cool. Preheat grill for high heat. Place drip pan under grill grate. Clean turkey and remove giblets and neck. Truss legs and wings with kitchen twine. Turn heat down to medium (or to at least 300 degrees F/150 degrees C) and grease grill grate. Place bird onto grill breast side up and cook for 1 1/2 hours.
Brush bird liberally with cranberry glaze, turn 90 degrees and cook for another hour. Continue basting with cranberry sauce and turning 90 degrees every hour. Turkey should cook for 4 or more hours. When temperature of inner thigh reaches 180 degrees F/80 degrees C and juices run clear, the turkey is done. Remove carefully from grill and allow to sit for 15 minutes before carvin